The Cointreau works a treat in this dark and decadent mousse. Salted chocolate is all the rage at the moment as it highlights different tones in the chocolate that you normally wouldn’t notice. They’re really easy to whip up and will charm the pants off anyone who sinks a spoon in. Perfect for Netflix and chill.
- 175g dark chocolate in chunks
- 1 level tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsps water
- 2-3 tbsps triple sec/ grand marnier
- 40g slightly salted soft butter
- 3 large eggs, separated
- a small pinch of crunchy salt, plus a little extra for topping
- Grated orange zest for topping
- Sit heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water
- Add chocolate, sugar, water. Combine and leave to melt slowly. Remove bowl. Stir in butter, booze, egg yolks. Set to one side.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff. Beat one tbsp of the white into the chocolate mix along with the pinch of salt. Fold the rest of the whites lightly into the chocolate with a metal spoon. Don’t overmix to keep it light and fluffy!
- Spoon or pour into your container of choice. Chill for 1-2 hours and then top with orange zest and a little more crunchy salt.